DICTIONARY OF GOLF TERMS
with Italian translation
brought to you by FEDERGOLF LOMBARDIA
- Hack or Hacker – A poor golfer. Modesto giocatore.
- Halve A Hole – In match play, refers to a draw when both opponents take the same number of shots to complete the hole. Pareggiare la buca.
- Halve A Match – In match play, refers to a draw when both opponents have won the same number holes in the round. Pareggiare la partita.
- Handicap – The number of strokes a player is given to adjust his score to that of standard scratch. It allows golfers of different abilities to compete on equal terms.
- Handicap Allowance – Your adjusted handicap depending on the type of competition you have entered.
- Handicap Player – A golfer who has a recognised handicap awarded by a Golf Club.
- Handicap System – A method of adjusting golfers’ scores to a baseline such that they can compete on equal terms.
- Handicap-Stroke Hole – A hole where in match play an opponent receives a shot. It is determined by the stroke index of the hole.
- Hanging lie – When the ball is resting on the upside of a slope.
- Haskel – First incarnation of the modern golf balls with rubber straps wound around core encased in gutta percha – rendered Gutties obsolete
- Hazard – Features on the golf course designed to obstruct play. Ostacolo.
- Hcp – Handicap.
- Head – The end of the club that includes the club face. Testa del bastone.
- Heel – Where the club head is attached to the shaft.
- Hit a Brick – To strike the ball on the green such that it does not roll past the cup.
- Hit a House – see Hit a Brick
- Hogans – A game where you have to achieve par by hitting the green in regulation, par the hole, having never hit the fairway.
- Hole High – Means that the ball has landed on the green level with the hole as you are looking at it.
- Hole In One – The ball goes straight into the hole from your tee shot. Buca in uno.
- Hole Out – To putt the ball into the hole. Imbucare.
- Holed – A ball which is putted into the hole. Imbucata.
- Home – Getting the ball onto the green.
- Home Pro – Resident professional at golf club. Maestro del circolo.
- Honour – The honour goes to last player to win a hole or take the least number of shots. The player with the honour tees off first. Onore.
- Hooded Club – Turning the club face slightly inward in order to hook the ball or prevent a slice.
- Hook – To induce topspin onto the ball causing in to move from outside to in on your swing. Opposite is slice. Gancio.
- Hustler – One who maintains an artifically high handicap in order to win bets. Ladro di handicap.
- Impact – When the club strikes the ball. Impatto.
- In – The last nine holes of an 18 hole course. Seconde nove.
- In play – When the ball is within the playing area of the course. In gioco.
- Inactive Season – That part of the golfing calendar where a player cannot use his scores to adjust his handicap.
- Interlocking Grip – To hold the club such that the little finger of one hands is wrapped around the fore-finger of the other.
- Investment Cast – To cast metal club heads from wax moulds.
- Inward Half – The last nine holes of an 18 hole course. Seconde nove.
- Iron – A metal headed club that is not a wood. Ferro.
- Kitty Litter – Colloquialism for sand bunker.
- Knockdown Shot – A shot played low into the wind.
Browse other golf terms :
A – B C D – E F – G L – N O – Q R – S T – Z Quit