DICTIONARY OF GOLF TERMS
with Italian translation
brought to you by FEDERGOLF LOMBARDIA
- Deuce – To hole out in two strokes.
- Dimple – The indentations on the surface of a golf ball which affects it’s flight characteristics.
- Divot – A piece of turf lifted when ball is struck – typically on fairway, played to create backspin. Zolla.
- Divot Fixer – Instrument to repair ball pitch marks made on the green where the ball landed. Alza pitch.
- Dogleg – A hole where the fairway hooks to the left or right thus obscuring the green from the tee.
- Dormie – Term given to describe the situation when a team cannot lose a match against the competition as the number holes remaining is the same as the current lead.
- Double Bogey – Two shots over the hole par. Doppio bogey.
- Double D – When a driver is used on the fairway after being used for the tee shot.
- Double Eagle – Three shots under the hole par; also known as albatross.
- Down – Number of stokes or holes you are behind your opponent. Sotto.
- Downhill Lie – When the ball rests on a hill that goes down towards where you intend to strike the ball.
- Downswing – The down-stroke part of a golfer’s swing.
- Draw – To induce topspin onto the ball causing in to move from outside to in on your swing. Opposite is Fade.
- Drive – A shot from the tee area.
- Driver – A 1-Wood Club normally used for the Tee shot.
- Driving Iron – A 1 or 2 iron which gives distance rather than height.
- Driving Range – An area set aside for practice. Campo pratica.
- Drop – Bringing the ball back into play after striking the last shot out of bounds or into a water hazard etc. The ball is released from an outstretched arm held at shoulder height.
- Duck Hook – To induce to much topspin onto the ball causing in to move from outside to in on your swing. Normally caused by turning your body to quickly through your swing.
- Dunk – When a ball lands in a water hazard.
- Eagle – To score two under par for a hole.
- Equitable Stroke Control Method – Stroke index of a hole on a course. Used in Stableford and match play competitions.
- Etiquette – A set of guidelines to promote proper behaviour on the course. Etichetta.
- Exact Handicap – A players handicap measured to the nearest 10th. Hcp esatto.
- Executive Course – A golf course with mainly par 3 and comparatively short par 4 holes.
- Explode – The material carried with the ball when it is hit out of a sand bunker.
Browse other golf terms :